Somehow, I always end up with extra egg whites. This is the best way to use them up. It’s ridiculously easy (seriously, a child of four can make them), you can mess up the proportions and still end up with something great, and, damn, are they awesome.
- 2 and 3/4 cups walnuts, toasted and broken into pieces
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 320.
Combine all the dry ingredients, then fold in the egg whites, just until everything is combined.
Spoon the batter onto parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheets, forming generous mounds spaced evenly apart, and bake for around 15 minutes, just until the tops are glossy and lightly cracked. Slide the parchment or Silpat mats onto racks to cool.
Looking for another cookie recipe? Try these.